Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Pimping my Lumix LX5!


I have been using Panasonic's Lumix LX5 Compact Camera for almost a year now. It's a great alternative for an intro level DSLR, minus the bulk. I prefer to bring this when I'm out during events, outings, family gathering etc. It can capture great images, so why settle for the heavier one. hehe With its maximum aperture opening of f 2.0 it can still capture great images under low light conditions without even popping out the flash. Anyway, I didn't realize its full potential not until one of my cousins, who is a Lumix owner himself, showed me his accessories. And yeah, I am but impressed, I might not want to use my DSLR ever again. haha just kidding. But, I mean really... seriously.



Dragon Fly - Photo by my cousin Sonny Tekiko (Using Lumix LX5 with macro converter lens with minor post processing)
Ok, I must admit, after seeing this image, I really wanted to buy the macro converter lens, he bought it at an online seller here in Philippines for not more that 600 php. How cool is that?! Macro lens owners might cry when they see this photos because the lens itself is much expensive than the camera being used with this images. He said that most of the professional photographers that he know, owns an LX5, whether for back up purposes or personal use.

Excited to pimp up my cam, for a start I bought an Auto Lens cap. With these on, I will no longer be removing the cap ever again as it automatically opens by itself as you turn the unit on. 

With the auto lens cap

with auto lens cap (side view)

So this is how it looks like when turned on, if it is turned off the cap just retracts by itself. How much does this thing cost? I bought it at the Nikon Store in Gaisano Mall of Davao for 995 php, they are the official distributor for Panasonic/Lumix accessories. Quite expensive though,  but it can protect your unit from damaging the lens especially if there are times that we tend to forget to put the cap back on.

Top: side view; Bottom: Front view

Lens Adapter and Auto Lens Cap

Another accessory that I bought (or my father bought for me) was a lens adapter. Since LX5's lens opens up when in use, you are sometimes uncertain of its protection, so to ensure that your lens is safe and sound, a lens adapter could be attached, together with a lens filter. This can be bought at the Nikon Store as well for 550 php. Lens filter costs at around 150-200 php. When using this one, you can no longer use the auto lens cap, so remove it first.




Slowly twist to attach
With Lens Adapter attached, you can also attach a filter on it. Looking like a mini DSLR already =D

More Accessories for further pimping. yay! 


Now, I believe in the saying that small things comes with BIG surprises. Are you now ready to leave your DSLR behind?! =)



Photos taken using Canon 400d, Canon 50mm lens, Post Processed Photoshop CS4, www.picnik.com

12 comments:

Unknown said...

you're making me confused on which one to buy.. will find more reviews about this one.. thanks for the post anyway issa. hehe ^__^

Issa Irasga said...

haha you're welcome. :) But I highly recommend this model. We used this when we covered a wedding. The colors are superb! :D You can buy this at around 18k+ somewhere at spazio GMall. :D

mairasga said...

Keep up the good work my dear daugther...someday someone will hire you for a big price...

Issa Irasga said...

hi tay! thanks for dropping by. you know it wont be possible without you! hahaha :D miss u! chat ta soon :D

DavaoBase.com said...

Nice share! Parang gusto ko na din ng Lumix! :D

By the way, are you related to Mamerto Irasga? Just curious. :)

Issa Irasga said...

Thanks po! yep father po si Mert. Do u know him?! thanks for dropping by :D

DavaoBase.com said...

It really is a small world. Magkasama kami sa PIChE. :)

Rudolph said...

i was looking for a lx3 or lx5 as a backup cam coz dslrs are so bulky. ill be saving up for this one

Issa Irasga said...

Davao Base: Really? Magkasama kayo sa PICHE? Small world tlaga.... :)

Issa Irasga said...

Yes rudolph, this cam is very convenient talaga... nice choice :)

Ricky said...

Hi Issa nice blog. ask ko lang kung ano specific model ng lens adapter at lens? TIA

Ricky said...

hirap kasi mag hanap kung saan merong accessories para sa lumix. saan mo na bili yung adapter, lens etc.